Regarded as Akshara Nagari (the City of Letters), Kottayam is famously known for its contribution to print media and literature. Also being the first town in India to achieve cent percent literacy, one would think Kottayam embodies a progressive culture. But for an unmarried woman to access safe, legal and nonjudgemental abortion in the city, the path is very steep and full of taunts.
If you have been searching for help to get an abortion in Kottayam, you have come to the right place. Hidden Pockets is all about ensuring you are not judged or shamed for wanting a safe, legal abortion.
In this article, we bring to you some must-know information that will help you make informed decisions on getting a safe abortion in Kottayam. Before you delve in, let us first and foremost reassure you that abortion in Kottayam is completely legal.
Legal things to remember while visiting clinics in Kottayam
If you want an abortion, you are not doing anything illegal. It is entirely legal under the MTP (Medical Termination of Pregnancy) Act of 1971.
Under the act, any woman can get an abortion within 20 weeks of her pregnancy under the following circumstances:
- If the continuation of the pregnancy would be a risk to the physical or mental health and well being of the woman
- If the fetus shows an abnormality in the scan and tests, and thus confirms that if it is born, it would be severely handicapped.
Often, many women are not sure about the duration of the pregnancy. As in, they cannot say for sure in which week of pregnancy they are in. Thus, they are not able to make the right decision about which method of abortion is suited for them. There are different types of abortions for different periods of pregnancy. You can chat with us on our Whatsapp Careline, and we can help you assess which week of pregnancy you are in and what are options you have for abortion.
For abortion in clinics in Kottayam, these are some of the basic things you need to keep in mind:
For the first eight weeks, a woman can have a medical abortion.
- In a medical abortion, you will be given certain medications to terminate the pregnancy.
- The pill is extremely effective in 95% of cases. Taking the pill after eight weeks of pregnancy can lead to an incomplete abortion.
- It is always important to follow up with your doctor when you develop complications following an abortion using medical abortion pills.
After eight weeks, the safest method to get an abortion is by having a surgical abortion.
- Up to 12 weeks, the preferred method is Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA). This is a minor surgical procedure and does not require any overnight hospitalization. You can return home the same day after the procedure.
- Beyond 12 weeks, the surgical procedure might require you to be hospitalized overnight.
The cost factor
Not all doctors are allowed to do an abortion. Under the MTP Act, only a Registered Medical Practioner is allowed to perform an abortion. These are doctors who have undergone training to give an abortion. Also, not all hospitals and clinics are permitted to give abortions. Only those hospitals and clinics (government or private) that are registered as Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) centers can give an abortion. The cost for abortion varies from doctor to doctor in various private hospitals and clinics.
Getting psychological support while seeking an abortion
Getting an abortion can be an extremely challenging time for any woman. Hence, it is important for women to not only seek safe and legal abortion from a qualified doctor but also the right support for emotional health and well-being.
What does Hidden Pockets offer to young clients?
- We will connect you with a good doctor who will not judge you for wanting an abortion or that you are unmarried.
- We will ensure that you have all your documents ready before you go to a doctor.
- We will help you assess your health conditions.
- We will provide constant guidance with regard to the needed tests, medicines.
- Our team of counselors will provide you with real-time support pre-abortion as well as post-abortion.
- We will help you make the best decisions that take into consideration your circumstances.
Would you like to connect now? Click on this Whatsapp chat button now to talk to our Careline counselor.
Post-abortion care is crucial
Once the abortion is done, many women think the ordeal is over and that there is no necessity to go back to the doctor. Even if the doctor has recommended coming back after a few days, many women opt out of going back to the doctor, thinking there is nothing more to abortion now that it is all done. However, this is not a healthy choice. There are reasons why your doctor has asked you to come back after a few days. Post-abortion care can avoid a lot of complications for you.
To know more, read: Post Abortion Care: 5 Things You Should Know
[Hidden Pockets ensures that you are taken care of and supported after your abortion. We take post-abortion very seriously and want you to have a speedy recovery. We are just one click away]
If you want to know more about our work from the people who have received our services, you can read the testimonials.