Most young women don’t think about post abortion care. It is not something that comes across anyone’s mind. Everybody knows abortion, but post abortion care? Nada!
A lot of young people in India find it extremely difficult to find good services around abortion. If it is a young unmarried couple, there is always this fear of the law, and fear of the doctor.
Abortion is legal in India and registered medical practitioners can provide abortion services in the country. And still, many are often scared that doctors might not provide them with good quality service.
[Unplanned pregnancy, especially for an unmarried woman, brings immense stress. There is fear and anxiety about getting the right doctor who will not judge you, the right doctor who will treat you with respect and dignity, the right doctor who will value your privacy, the right doctor who is affordable. We know the right doctors and we don’t’ want you to feel alone. You will get a safe and legal abortion. Talks to us. Click on the Whatsapp chat button now: ]
There is hardly any conversation about ensuring that young women go back to clinics and get a post abortion care. There is no follow up, no further check up and often the woman is left guessing for herself.
In such a scenario where women feel like they don’t even deserve the abortion service in the first place, is it easy for them to go through an abortion and then think of the care their body needs after an abortion?
So we ask the basic question, what really happens to the body after an abortion? Is post abortion care needed?
If it was medical abortion, we take some pills and the foreign elements in the body are slowly removed from our body in the form of blood clots or tissues. If it is surgical abortion, we have a surgery where a foreign body is introduced in the body and then foreign elements inside the uterus are removed.
And yes bodies lose a lot of blood. Any procedure that requires changes in the body does meet with loss of blood. and that is why it becomes all the more important to talk about post abortion care.
Things to do for post abortion care:
1) So since the body has experienced changes, it is important that we supplement the body with more fluids and nutritious food to maintain the balance.
2) It is important to go back to the doctor and get yourself scanned again to ensure that there is no more foreign element in the body.
3) Like how we take breaks after any serious surgery, it is important to ensure that we take rest and the body is given sufficient time to heal.
4) Reduce the physical exercises for the next few weeks. Your body just went through some major changes. It is important to give it rest.
5) If you want to take a pregnancy test it might be better to wait for 3-4 weeks because the hormones might still reflect a positive result.
It is not really an easy decision to get the pregnancy terminated. People have their own stories and struggles, and people come to this decision based on their own realities. If you are still feeling uncomfortable or feel not heard, or still feel bad, please do get in touch with us and we will ensure that we have a conversation with you. Click on this Whatsapp chat button and talk to us now:
Connect with us on our social media pages to get updated about Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights.